Copyright in Thailand is the exclusive right that grants ownership to the creator of original works of physical expressions of ideas.
Copyright registration in Thailand can be done at the Department of Intellectual Property. Nonetheless, protection is automatically granted to the copyright owner once the work has been created. Works which may receive copyright protection in Thailand include:
- Literary works (advertisements, books, magazines, newspapers, website content etc.)
- Computer software
- Musical works
- Dramatic works (choreography, dancing, acting etc.)
- Artistic works (such as works of painting and drawing, sculptures, lithography, works of architecture, photographic works, illustrations, other forms of applied arts)
- Audio-visual works
- Cinematographic works
- Audio recordings
- Broadcast works
The following works cannot be eligible for copyright registration in Thailand:
- News of the day and facts having the character of mere information which is not a work in literary, scientific or artistic domain
- Constitution and legislations
- Regulations, by-laws, notifications, orders, explanations and official correspondence of the Ministries, Departments or any other government or local units
- Judicial decisions, orders, decisions and official reports
- Translation and collection of those in (1) to (4) made by the Ministries, Departments or any other government or local units
The copyright protection in Thailand is valid for the entire lifetime of the author and continues for a period of 50 years thereafter. The same protection period is granted to juristic persons who are the owner of the copyright.
The advantages of registering your copyright are as follows:
- Copyright registration provides the creator or author of the work with an exclusive right to use, publish and commercialise their work
- When you register your copyright, it allows you to keep track of the registration date and determine the duration for its validity
- Registering your copyright offers protection of ownership against competitors, claims and usage of the work by third parties
- Copyright registration also allows the owner to enforce legal rights by pursuing penalties against infringement
If you think that you are the rightful owner of an artistic work and would like to ensure that your rights remain protected, please contact Umpire Legal today to discuss the registration of your copyright in Thailand.