Companies which are promoted by the Thai Board of Investment do not have the same capital or employee requirements as other limited companies do. Foreigners working in BOI promoted companies may obtain their visas and work permits from the One Stop Service Centre for Visas and Work Permits, and would not need to contact the Labour or Immigration offices separately. The process is quicker and can physically be completed in a day, after the online registration process is approved.
The visa and work permit application process consists of the following steps:
- If you intend to bring in a foreign skilled worker to work in your BOI promoted company, you may contact Umpire Legal to assist with the application through the BOI E-Expert system. A request can be made for the BOI office to issue an invitation letter to support the foreigner’s Non-immigrant B visa application. This application is carried out online and takes approximately one week.
- The invitation letter issued by the BOI office can be posted to the foreigner along with supporting company registration documents bearing the signature of the authorized director, in order for the foreigner to apply for a Non-immigrant business visa (90 days) at the Thai Embassy or Consulate in the country of his residence or a different country depending on the nationality of the individual.
- For the next step, Umpire Legal will submit an online request to “open a position” for the foreigner to work under the company, where details of the foreigner’s position, job description, previous employment and educational history along with supporting documents and certificates will need to be provided. The consideration process for opening position takes approximately one week and would be carried out online.
- Once the position is opened and approved, the application for the foreigner’s work permit and visa extension can also be submitted online through the BOI E-Expert system whereby it is the final stage of online approval prior to the physical issuance of the work permit booklet and visa extension. This process takes between 3-4 business days.
- Once the online formalities have been completed, the legal team at Umpire Legal will physically accompany the foreign applicant to collect the work permit booklet from the Employment Office and have his/her visa extended at the Immigration Bureau, both located at the One Stop Service Centre for Visas and Work Permits.
Please contact Umpire Legal for further information or assistance on the work permit and visa application process through your BOI promoted company.