Operate Your Company in Thailand Smoothly & Worry-Free
Restaurant – Food & Alcohol Licenses
If you are operating a restaurant or bar with the area larger than 200 square meters, you will need to apply for the food and/or alcohol (retail) license for your company whereby the license certificates should be placed in a visibly located area of the restaurant or bar.
Restaurant (Food) License
- Umpire Legal will assist you in preparing the government forms and supporting documents as will be necessary for submission at the responsible district office for the application. It is important to note that the construction permit for the building in which the restaurant is located allows for such business operations.
- A week or two after the application has been accepted by the officials, an appointment will need to be made for the officials to inspect the premises of the restaurant. Further to the inspection, additional documents might be requested at the official’s discretion.
- All Thai employees working in the restaurant would then be required to go to the district office to take a test which consists of 50 multiple choice questions, of which at least 40 questions must be answered correctly. The questions mainly concern maintenance of standards and hygiene in the restaurant. The district office provides a booklet which the employees may study prior to the test. Prior to issuance of the license, the staff will also be required to provide a medical certificate.
- Once the officials determine that the documents, inspection of the restaurant, and employees test results meet their requirements, a license will be issued. The issuance of the food license may take up to or slightly longer than a month depending on several factors including the availability of the officials for an inspection, the state of the restaurant, and so forth.
- Commercial name of the restaurant, which may be different from the company’s name
- Photos (print out) in front of and inside the restaurant
- Layout of the restaurant (interior and floor plan)
- Total size in square meters of the whole restaurant (including tables, kitchen, counter etc.)
If you will be selling alcohol in your restaurant or bar, we can also assist you in applying for the retail license to sell alcoholic beverages. This license application requires some government forms, company set up documents, documents from the legal owner of the property and the authorised director’s passport or Thai ID copy. It can be obtained from the Excise office located in the district where you are located within a couple of business days if all documents are in order.
It is important to note that the construction permit for the building in which the restaurant is located is mandatory for application to operate a restaurant.